Morris Library offers a number of services to distance learning students. Faculty should visit our page on our services for distance learning instructors..
How to be a Distance Learner
- To qualify as a Morris Library Distance Learner, you must be enrolled at SIU, but not living locally.
- If you attend classes on campus in Carbondale, you are not a distance learner.
- To get Distance Learner status with Morris Library, contact Steve Sawyer, email@example.com or 618-453-2754.
Access to Library Materials
- You have the same access to electronic resources as do our on-site students. Access the majority of those resources on our Articles and Databases page.
- If you need materials that are not available electronically, request them through I-Share (link) if available, or if unavailable use Interlibrary Loan (link) (details follow).
- You can request an unlimited number of books, photocopies of articles, CDs, videos, and government documents.
- Requests for loans made by Distance Learners who are living internationally may not be filled, depending on book condition, book rarity, shipping costs, etc. (Article requests can generally be sent electronically so are no problem to fill.)
- Renew SIU or I-Share books by logging into your I-Share account (link). Renew ILL items by logging into your ILL account (link).
- You may not request required textbooks for your classes or items on reserve at Morris Library.
- If you need something in a reference book or a book on reserve at Morris Library, please notify Amber Loos, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- There is no charge for these services.
Delivery of Library Materials
- The library will send copies of journal articles electronically; as an attachment to an email or as a link posted to your ILL account. If the article is from a journal that is not part of Morris Library's collection, this process may take a few weeks.
- Books, videos, CDs, or government documents will be sent to you through UPS 2nd Day Air. If the item is not from Morris Library's collection, it may take a week to 10 days or more to receive it and send it to you. You are responsible for returning these items to Morris Library.
Pick Up and Return Materials to Another Library
- On the chance you live near another I-Share library (link), you may choose to have your request for an SIU or I-Share item delivered to that I-Share library. This can save several days in shipping.
- After selecting “Request 1st Available”, use the pull-down menu “Choose pick-up library” to select the library you want the book sent to.
- You will have to go to that library to get your request. It will not be mailed to your home.
- You may be required to have your SIU ID card in hand when you pick up book. Check with the library in advance to find out their requirements.
- You may return books to any I-Share library to avoid personally shipping the books back to SIU.
- Be sure to get a receipt. It is the evidence you returned your item.
Return Library Materials by Shipping
- You are responsible for the cost of returning books to Morris Library by the due date listed for the book in your library account. Return books via U.S. Mail, UPS, or FedEx to the following address:
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
605 Agriculture Drive
Carbondale, IL 62901
- The library is not responsible for items lost in the mail. Purchasing insurance for your delivery is recommended to offset charges for items that are shipped but not received.
Request Help Using These Services
Questions about finding articles/books
Also try our Ask A Librarian service, available to the left.