Individuals who are not current SIU Carbondale students, faculty, or staff may purchase a Provisional Courtesy Card to obtain access to Morris Library's local collection. Because this card is for collection access only and doesn't include access to our computers or electronic resources, we are offering a discounted price. Complete and print the application and bring it to the Circulation Desk to get your card the next time you visit or stop by the Circulation Desk for a form. You will need to include a copy of a valid government issued photo ID (driver's license, state ID, passport, or military ID). Applicants must be 18 years or older. For children ages 12-18 to obtain a courtesy card, a parent or legal guardian must complete and sign the application form and return it to Circulation Services. You can mail it to the library or email it to Marissa Ellermann (email@example.com) or Steven Sawyer (firstname.lastname@example.org) All patrons assume responsibility for activities, fines, and fees associated with card use. We accept payment by check, money order, major credit cards, or cash.
Please note that due to Covid19, all items must be requested using our online catalog. Please see the Library FAQ for instructions on how to access materials.
For any questions, please contact Marissa Ellermann or Steven Sawyer.
6 months for $25; 1 year for $45
- Borrowing privileges for library materials that circulate; 4 weeks loan period for books, 1 day loan period for journals.
- No I-Share borrowing privileges are included.
Reduced Cost or Free Courtesy Cards
Certain categories of users qualify for a free individual courtesy card upon verification of status. Qualifying groups are as follows:
- Spouse or domestic partner of student, faculty, or staff at SIUC. Free with spouse/domestic partner card from HR for faculty/staff; students may present a Family Identification Card from Non-Traditional Student Services.
- Student or employee of John A. Logan College. Students get a free card for current semester upon enrollment verification (must be able to show a class schedule online or with a printout). Faculty or staff are eligible for a 50% discounted courtesy card upon current employment verification by the JALC Payroll Office. Effective dates for cards depend on the semester: Spring is December 16 to May 31, Summer is May 16 to August 31, and Fall is August 16 to December 31.
- SIU School of Medicine Volunteer Faculty. Free with current contract from SOM.
- Friend of Morris Library. Free 6-month courtesy card for ‘Good Friend’; free 12-month card for ‘Best Friend’.
Expiration dates on free courtesy cards will match the expiration date on the card, letter, or other documentation provided by the user and are subject to verification. Student Spouse/Partner cards and John A. Logan courtesy cards are issued for the current semester and must be renewed each semester.
Courtesy Card Guidelines
When you sign up for a Courtesy Card from Morris Library, you agree to the following terms:
- Individual courtesy cards entitle only the individual named on the application form to use Morris Library services because of licensing restrictions. If the card or login credentials are used by anyone else, access will be cancelled and money will not be refunded.
- Report lost cards to the Circulation Desk immediately.
- Courtesy card holders are responsible for payment of fines or fees associated with services requested through the account.
- Courtesy card fees are non-refundable.
- Keep the Circulation Desk aware of current mail, email, and phone contact information.
- Abide by Morris Library circulation policies and amendments as approved by the SIU Board of Trustees. 7. Adhere to all established policies (http://lib.siu.edu/about/policies) for Morris Library and "reasonable standards of conduct" as outlined in the SIU Student Conduct Code to maintain courtesy card privileges.
- Courtesy Card users must be 18 years or older. For children ages 12-18 to obtain a courtesy card, a parent or legal guardian must sign the application form in person at the Circulation Desk to assume responsibility for activities, fines, and fees associated with card use.