Faculty Research Rooms
Morris Library has two rooms (580B & C) available for current faculty to use for an extended period of up to one semester to consult a large number of library materials and/or to work on a research project.
Each room will be assigned to two researchers at a time who will share the room.
- Interested faculty apply for a room at the beginning of each semester.
- The Dean of Library Affairs reviews applications according to the criteria listed below, prioritizes the applications, and assigns the rooms based on the merit of the need.
- Once the user has been informed of a room assignment through an email from the Dean’s Office, s/he may begin using the Faculty Research Room.
- The key to the room will be checked in/out from the Dean’s Office and room assignments will be done for one month at a time with the possibility of renewal.
- The Dean of Library Affairs will maintain a waiting list if there are more applicants than rooms available.
- Faculty Research Room users notify the Dean’s Office when they have completed their project, so the room can be assigned to the next person on the waiting list.
Criteria for Assignment
Eligibility for Faculty Research Rooms is based on one or more of the following criteria, which are
detailed in the web-based application form:
- Applicant needs extended access to a large number of library circulating and/or reference materials.
- Applicant is engaged in a research or writing project that requires uninterrupted study for more than a few days.
- Applicant is engaged in SIUC committee work that requires uninterrupted study.
Note: Applicants who do not have private office space elsewhere on campus receive priority.
- The deadline for applications is the Friday of the week before classes begin each semester.
- It is the responsibility of the Faculty Research Room user to notify the Dean’s Office when the room assigned is no longer needed.
- Correspondence with the Dean’s Office is normally through email after the initial submission of the web-based application form.
- The Dean’s Office will send a reminder to release or renew Faculty Research Room at the end of each month.
- A Faculty Research Room user may apply for renewal at the end of the assigned period, but will have no priority over other applicants.
Terms of Faculty Research Room Use
- Library materials kept in Faculty Research Rooms MUST BE checked out.
- Library materials that have been checked out by the Faculty Research Room user may be left in Faculty Research Rooms but remain the responsibility of that Faculty Research Room user.
- Do not leave Reference or non-circulating materials in Faculty Research Rooms.
- Morris Library will periodically check Faculty Research Rooms for library materials that have not been checked out. Library personnel will remove such materials.
- Normal loan periods apply to library materials kept in Faculty Research Rooms.
- Faculty Research Rooms are available only during library open hours and must be vacated at closing time.
- Faculty Research Room keys must be returned to the Dean’s Office at the end of the assigned usage period. Lost/unreturned keys will result in a replacement charge.
- Faculty Research Rooms are for research and scholarship, not for office or conference space.
- Only those who have been assigned a Faculty Research Room by the Dean’s Office may use the room.
- Each Faculty Research Room provides wireless and/or network access.
- Faculty members are responsible for providing their own equipment, including computing devices, printers, scanners, and cell phones.
- Report damage, burned out bulbs, and other maintenance issues to the Dean’s Office immediately.
- Additional library furniture may not be brought into the Faculty Research Rooms.
- Walls, doors, and windows must be kept free of nails, tape, or any other affixed objects.
- Electrical appliances (such as space heaters, microwave ovens, toasters, blenders, coffee makers, hot plates, hot pots, etc.) may not be brought into or used in Faculty Research Rooms.
- Users are expected to follow the Morris Library Food & Drink Policy in Faculty Research Rooms.
- Morris Library is not responsible for personal property left in Faculty Research Rooms.