- Module 1
- Module 2
- Fair Use
- Checklist for Fair Use
- U.S. Copyright Law Section 108
- U.S. Copyright Law Section 110
- Module 3
Welcome to the Copyright Tutorial
This tutorial is designed to educate our faculty, staff, and students about copyright law and how it relates to them. SIU Carbondale's official Patents and Copyrights Policy states, "The university is responsible to itself and to the public for the kinds of research it sponsors and for obtaining the greatest public benefit from such research. The university policy regarding patents and other developments from research encourages maximum public benefit and encourages faculty members to promote the patentable, marketable, and copyrightable results of their research. All faculty and staff members are required by the conditions of their employment to abide by the university policy on patents and copyrights" (SIU Carbondale Personnel Policies). Simply stated, copyright compliance is a citizenship issue.
This course will teach you the basics of copyright law, fair use, and the copyright/licensing issues involved in using a wide variety of materials protected by copyright in your many situations. By the end of this course, you will:
- Increase your knowledge and understanding of copyright and licensing issues; and know what it means to say that someone owns the copyright to a creative work.
- Learn more about why copyright law exists and where it all started (the history of copyright).
- Know how to resolve basic copyright/licensing questions and when, and who to ask for more help.
- Realize and respect the ethical/moral aspects involved in using materials protected by copyright.
- Be able to answer a variety of copyright questions and solve specific case studies.
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
605 Agriculture Drive
Carbondale, Illinois 62901